Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Time to cut back...

I went for a visit to the doctor yesterday and she told me to lay off the coffee. Seriously...she might as well told me to try to lose weight for goodness sake. Do you know how hard that is? I am not just addicted, but it is my life blood. I can not get through the day without it. I guess I have reached a point in my life where I have to stop putting so much shit in my body. I have done reeeaaallyy well with the McDonalds. Instead of every day or three times a day, now I have it maybe once a week or less. That is VERY good I think. Anyways, back to this coffee issue. What am I supposed to do without it? I asked the doc in jest if she had some uppers to give me in place of my addiction, and she just looked at me. Ok so I need a way around it. Replace a habit with a habit right? Well that is what I did 10 or so years ago with coffee. I quit smoking and started drinking coffee.
Now my doctor says I am a tad high strung. Ha.
Me?
Then she went on to say something about my rapid heartbeats but I got a little dsitstracted because she had on the cutest green shoes. Green! You would have to own a lot of that shade of green to purchase a pair of shoes that particular colour in order to get enough wear out of them to justify buying them. I digress, but I am not high strung. Ok maybe a bit.
Anyways, I am thinking about my replacement habit and what it could be. I know what Steve would like it to be....fat chance Steve. Keep thinking! Maybe I could take up jogging, but in this heat? Eww no thanks. I am not one for sweating.
This no coffee issue also poses another problem....pooping. Or lack thereof. I NEED my coffee to - you know- go. How am I ever going to have a movement again if I stop drinking coffee? Please don't write me and tell me all about prunes and water and fibre and bran, I have been down that road. I do all those things.
So....replacement......what to do, what to do?

14 comments:

Jodi said...

She just said to cut back didn't she? So have two cups in the morning and then drink something else (that won't make you high strung) for the rest of the day. I would go for my favorite juice or flavored water.

That should keep you regular and a little less high strung, right? ;)

Either way~GOOD LUCK GIRL!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just heard that an apple in the morning will give you MORE of an upper first thing in the morning than a cup of coffee. 'SERIOUSLY"......an go figure, it's got 'FIBER'in it too.Let me know if it works...give it a week of trial and see if it makes a difference.

Love Mom
xoxox

Evey said...

I am with Jodi, thats what I was going to say. Just have one or 2 cups instead of say a whole pot.

K said...

I've heard the same about apples.

Yeah, just cut back instead of quit. I carry around a water bottle with me and anytime I think I'm hungry or want something, I drink some water first. If that doesn't work, I re-evaluate and perhaps eat or drink whatever it was I was craving.

Lori said...

Yes Kristen, I also do the water thing, but it is just not the same as coffee.

K said...

caffinated water?
oh wait, that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it...

Lori said...

I read the side the Icea Tea container and they claim that is a good way to get your water...I don't know, and I don't know if there is caffeine in iced tea. I would sure drink that. I drink all day and water gags me after a while.

Family Of Five said...

I hate coffee... and I hate water!! Yes, Iced Tea has caffine in it, but it sure is yummy!! Actually my mom has got me hooked on Kool-aid latley, I half the sugar and add more water and It's pretty yummy. They actually have some good flavors these days, blue rasberry, strawberry-kiwi..... (I think that orange tastes like medicine)

Lori said...

FoF, you drink Kool Aid? I never thought I would see the day. All that sugar and dye. Wow. Drink up girl! Whatever keeps your motor running.

Family Of Five said...

I love McDonalds too!!! (Oh and I also HATE sweating!)

Evey said...

you know coffee really is the greatest laxative on earth!

Lori said...

Evey you are so right with that one!

Robin said...

I used to be addicted to coffee. I would drink at least one entire pot a day completely by myself, sometimes more. I cut back slowly so as not to get a migraine. 8 (caffeinated) cups for a few days with 2 cups decaf., then 6 cups caf., then 4 cups caf., then 2 cups caf., then 1 cup caf. I replaced the caffeinated coffee with decaf so I drank the same amount of coffee but got less and less caffeine. I felt like hell for about a week. It was almost impossible to wake up in the mornings. By the second week though, I wasn't feeling groggy in the morning anymore. I also discovered that I was a lot less edgy. I hadn't even noticed that I was edgy before!

My recommend is "do it". Stick with it through the yucky part. You will be glad you did after.

I've heard the same thing about apples but haven't tried it so I don't know.

I can't help you in the poop department. I'm, well, a regular! :)

Aleecia F. said...

I think take up the habit of gum. :) Or....... I unno..... gum hehe
Gum is also cheap.

P.s. Im darlenes Neice if ya dont know :).