Thursday, September 01, 2005

Well, we started off okay....

Emma and I started our day beautifully by going out to a social event at a church not too far from here. Things were going smoothly and although I was out of my comfort zone and a little nervous at meeting new people, I was doing okay. I am determined to meet new people in the community, especially so my children can have more friends.
Well, the happy fluff ends there.
Emma was approached by a little girl of about two and mauled. Emma tried to tell her to stop but the girl clearly did not get the message and kept on grabbing at her and the mother did nothing to stop it. So, I gently took the girl off Emma and told her no thank you. She stood there stunned for a minute and then walked back to her mother. I picked Emma up to remove her from the situation and started to get up and leave.
Then I heard the mother LOUDLY say "That's okay honey I guess some people don't like to be friendly."
WTF?
Excuse me? Her child was mauling mine!
I went over (which I am normally too cowardly to do) and I said to the mother "Look I am sorry, but my daughter is very shy and your daughter mauling her doesn't help matters"
The mother just disregarded my statement and didn't care. "Oh that's too bad that your girl is so shy, she is really missing out on interaction"
Well if this is interaction I don't f*&cking want it.

11 comments:

Jodi said...

Been there, done that!

Good for you for sticking up for you and your daughter!

Miranda said...

Oh no! That mother sounds like quite a cow! haha

Evey said...

How frustrating! Sorry you had a hard time but good for you for standing your ground. And I know you will go back despite what happened, she was just one woman and I am sure you will meet some wonderful people!

Peggy said...

Its sad we have to go thru some thorns to get to a rose, but I know you will find lots of roses( friends). Glad you got one thorn out of your way!

Darlene said...

Yay for you! I would have been uncomforatble too if I were Emma.

Bumbling Bav said...

"Sorry she is being such a big bully to you".... seems to always make parents squirm. LOL.

My kids are very huggy but not in a hurting kind of way.

I am with Miranda.... she was mooing!

Family Of Five said...

Oh my god!!! Some people are so ignorant!! My Easton doesn't really like it when other kids even touch him, so he would've had a fit with that girl! I probably would have said out loud to my child "You tell that little girl to keep her hands to herself!"

pia said...

the nerve! i would have done the same thing you did.

Alison said...

Perhaps a lesson in personal space was in order?

Dave said...

D'as what I'm talkin' about, Lori. You should have given her a little interaction up-side the head.

Career Guy said...

Dave might have something there-- at least give her a taste of the same sort of "interaction". Now that would have really been something to see.