Thursday, October 18, 2012

Neighbors and Wise Men Sacred Encounters in a Portland Pub and Other Unexpected Places

Book Description God can work through ANY person to make himself known. There is an ancient prayer that begs God to “Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, be in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.” Have we limited God’s ability to speak in our world today? Have we relegated God’s creative voice to the select persons who share our particular religious system? One of the most often stated issues with Christianity is its unsatisfying answer to the question about those “outside” the faith. We have all known people who are kinder than most Christians, purer than most Christians, seemingly more connected to God than most Christians and spiritually wise. Tony Kriz, who infamously appeared in Donald Miller’s books under the name “Tony the Beat Poet” has discovered the abiding presence of Jesus in the lives and words of people from diverse (and often radically unchristian) sources. Through the pages of this book, Tony guides the reader through Muslim lands, radically anti-religious academia and post-Christian cultures to discover a God who speaks with generosity and creativity. Kriz himself felt like he was falling out of faith until the most unexpected people were the ones who encouraged him to “Fall toward Christ.” My thoughts: A terrifically moving and touching book with tremendously emotional points throughout. I found myself thinking about it long after I had put it down. So much to take away from this read. A truly affecting book. A great one for folks from all walks of life. I felt a little freer after reading it. God is good. To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, please mention as part of every Web or retail site review that BookSneeze® has provided you with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. For example: Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: